We had these secret ingredient chicken drumsticks for dinner tonight and I realized this recipe has been a family favorite for over a year, but I’ve never taken the time to post it here on the blog!
I hesitate to even call it a “recipe” since there isn’t any measuring, but I’ll be happy to have all the seasonings listed here for quick reference :)
Like many of you, we eat a LOT of chicken…mostly chicken breasts since they are lean and versatile. Periodically I grow so bored of all my chicken breast recipes. Can you feel me on that??
This recipe is the perfect remedy for that! Plus, it’s very budget friendly (Costco carries organic chicken drumsticks for a fraction of their organic chicken breast counterpart – AND – you can get a pack of 8 “natural” chicken drumsticks for under $3. That’s a fantastic bargain!
The key to these delicious drumsticks is the secret ingredient….CINNAMON!
Ok, I know it sounds weird, but you have to trust me on this! It adds a dimension of flavor that is surprisingly wonderful. These drumsticks are juicy, tender, savory, packed full of flavor, and a little bit spicy if you add a little cayenne pepper (optional but recommended!).
They roast in the oven for an hour which isn’t exactly a quick dinner, but trust me…it’s SO EASY. You prep them in about 5 minutes and flip them all over halfway through the bake time, but the rest of the magic can take place while you cuddle up on the couch or unwind from a long work day.
Another awesome feature is that these are Whole30 Approved! I’m gearing up to do a Whole30 in January, and recipes like this make following the program guidelines so much tastier :)
Ok, enough chit chat…here’s the “recipe”
- Chicken Drumsticks (I used a pack of 8, but you can make as many as you like!)
- Olive oil
- Garlic powder
- Cayenne pepper (optional but recommended!)
- Preheat oven to 400*
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil or parchment paper
- Lay drumsticks out on the baking sheet in an even layer making sure to have some space between each one (if making a large batch, use 2 pans rather than overcrowding a single pan)
- Drizzle the top of each drumstick with a little olive oil (approx ½ teaspoon per leg if I had to guess)
- Sprinkle the top of each drumstick FIRST with salt
- Then sprinkle each of the following (don't go overboard but don't be shy either):
- garlic powder
- cayenne pepper (go easy on this unless you like things HOT)
- Turn each drumstick over onto the opposite side and repeat steps 4-10.
- Place baking sheet on the middle rack of your preheated oven and set a timer for 30 minutes.
- When 30 minutes have passed, remove the baking sheet from the oven and flip every drumstick over.
- Set the timer for another 30 minutes.
- When the timer rings again, remove drumsticks from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Here’s a vlog showing what I did!