I know that may be a bold claim, but I really do think this is the best traditional chili I’ve ever tasted!
This chili isn’t trying to be “smokey chipotle” or “world’s hottest” or “secretly contains chocolate”.
It’s just trying to be good, old-fashioned plain chili.
And BOY HOWDY does it deliver!
The rich and tangy tomato base is chock full of hearty ground beef, perfectly sized tomato pieces and tender red beans.
It packs some heat, but not so much that you start to sweat….just enough to keep things interesting :)
I don’t know about you, but I’ve eaten my share of lame chili. The kind that tastes like spaghetti sauce with a dash of chili powder…or the kind that contains wayy too much beef…or chunks of bell pepper or mushrooms which may be great in other places, but not chili.
This one is none of those things.
It strikes the perfect balance of ingredients a good chili is supposed to be all about: tomatoes, onions, garlic, beef, beans, and chili powder.
In fact, the ingredient list isn’t much longer than that.
We’re experiencing lots of snow and below zero temperatures in Michigan right now, so this delicious hot chili warmed us up from the inside out last night at dinner!
I made a double batch so that we could eat it again for dinner tonight and still have some to freeze for later.
One of my favorite things about this meal (other than how delicious it is) is that it tastes even better the next day and equally awesome after being frozen!
That means you can make this up ahead of time for your SuperBowl party and eliminate stress the day of the event.
It also means you can whip up a double batch for dinner tonight and freeze half of it to bring out in a couple weeks when the craving is sure to hit again!
- 1 pound quality ground beef
- 2 small to medium onions finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2½ cups tomato juice (not V8, just tomato juice)
- 2 15oz cans petite diced tomotoes
- 2 15oz cans chili beans in hot gravy (we use Brook's brand)
- 4 tablespoons chili powder (I like Kroger's Private Selection best)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Cook beef, onions and garlic over medium heat until meat is fully cooked. Drain fat from pan. (I always add a splash of oil to the pan and cook the heck out of the onions first because my hubby hates if the onions have any crunch)
- Add all items except beans and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook for one hour.
- Stir in beans with gravy and simmer on medium low for another hour.
- Serve with sour cream, shredded cheese and oyster crackers and enjoy!
Uncle leroy says
Daguy real rank
Hate Redneckfucks says
I knew you were a Southern backward redneck fuck when i saw the word ‘Howdy’…A word that doesnt fucking exist except in the minds of fucking retards…THEN the scum of the earth favorite store Krogers…LMAO ‘Krogers Private selection’…??? Are you a total fucking tramp?…’Selection’ of utter shit like this recipe. PUKEBAG !!!!
Laurie Kroll says
I can attest, this is amazing chili!!! It is different in a wonderful satisfying way….