I think I might have an addiction.
This morning I saw a lone, ripe banana in my fruit basket and it practically begged me to turn it into a banana nut mug muffin!
So I had to oblige :)
I really enjoyed yesterday’s blueberry mug muffin and knew that I could change a few things around to make a banana version. Turns out I was right!
In fact, I like this version even better.
It’s still not very sweet, but something about the banana flavor tricks your tastebuds into thinking it is somewhat sweet! Adding chia seeds gave a nutritional boost and a tiny crunch that paired really well with the bigger crunch from the walnuts.
The whole thing had much more of a “cakey” texture than yesterday’s muffin and I think that’s due to the extra moisture from the banana and the magic gel properties of the chia seeds.
Give this a whirl and let me know what you think! If you’re really hankering for extra sweetness, but want to keep these truly paleo, mash up the other half of the banana and spread it on the top of each muffin :)
- ¼ cup almond flour (sometimes called almond meal)
- 2 tsp flax seed meal
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- few dashes of cinnamon
- 2 tsp coconut oil (melted)
- ½ a large banana, mashed
- small handful chopped walnuts
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Divide batter into 3 paper muffin liners
- Place each filled muffin liner into a small ramekin or Pyrex pudding bowl (to preserve shape while “baking”)
- Microwave for 2 minutes on high or until they feel firm when you press on the top.