Funny how the other day I was posting about giving up sugar for Lent and today I’m posting a cupcake recipe. Ha!
This recipe was posted on Joanne’s Eats Well With Others blog that I’ve raved about before.
I saw it back in November when it first “aired” and I just knew I had to make these cupcakes. I mean how beautiful is her picture?!
Yeah, completely amazing. And so girly!
Pink Lady Cupcakes are strawberry cupcakes topped with cream cheese frosting. Holla!
I made the recipe exactly as Joanne posted it but I only made half a batch and that was plenty!
Pink Lady Cupcakes
Makes 36-40 or one layer cake, adapted from Smitten Kitchen
Pink Lady Cupcakes!
Author: Smitten Kitten
Recipe type: Dessert
- For the cake:
- 4½ cups cake flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 5¼ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1½ cups pureed frozen strawberries
- 8 egg whites
- ⅔ cup almond milk or lowfat milk
- hint of pink food gel (I used red food coloring)
- For the frosting:
- 3 (8 oz) packages ⅓ less fat Philadelphia cream cheese, softened
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups sifted confectioners sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350. Line cupcake tins with liners.
- Put the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large mixer bowl. With the mixer on low speed, blend for 30 seconds. Add the butter and strawberry puree and mix to blend. Raise the speed to medium and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes. The batter will resemble strawberry ice cream at this point.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the egg whites, milk and food gel. Add the whites to the batter in two or three additions, scraping down the sides of the bowl and mixing only to incorporate after each addition. Divide the batter among the cupcake liners, filling until ¾ full.
- Bake the cupcakes for 15-20 minutes or until a cake tester inserted comes out clean. Let sit in tin for five minutes, then move to wire rack to cool completely, about 1 hour.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the cream cheese and butter until creamy. Mix in the vanilla, then gradually stir in the confectioners' sugar. Frost cupcakes.