Holy cow y’all!
These cookies were SO GOOD.
With a capital SO.
Friday was kind of a rough day. It started out fantastic but by the late evening I was stressed to the max.
By 10am I had showered, dressed, put split pea soup ingredients into the crock pot, whipped up a batch of artisan bread dough, and straightened up before a friend came over to visit.
We had a really nice time and I got Grace down for a “nap” on time.
I say “nap” because she never actually slept. She pooped in her Pull-up almost immediately.
Womp. Womp. Womp.
And here you thought you were going to get a cookie recipe! Not without a poop story first :)
I’ll spare you the details but by mid-day it was just one thing after another. I really wanted to have some time to myself to work on some stuff for church and even blog a little. But Avery was on a totally wonky 2.5 hour cycle (instead of her usual 3-4 hour cycle) and Grace didn’t end up napping at all.
On top of all that I was making dinner for another family which I was so excited about but I kept getting interrupted by Grace’s antics or Avery’s diaper explosions.
I somehow managed to get the dinner over to the other family (only a little late!) and came home to bake our bread and get our dinner on the table.
Grace refused to eat and got put to bed with much drama. Avery kept waking up and eating WAY sooner than she was “supposed to” and I was just a cranky mess by 8pm. It was just one of those hard mothering days. You know what I mean?
A little bit of wine and these chocolate chip cookies were just what the doctor ordered!
I googled “the best vegan chocolate chip cookies” and after reading a couple of other recipes, I decided on this one.
I had all the ingredients and they sounded like a home run.
Not using butter or eggs in a cookie recipe made me very skeptical, but this recipe made me a believer!
Coconut oil to the rescue!
The finished product was the perfect combination of crispy, soft, chewy, chocolatey and a hint of coconutty!
I adore chocolate and coconut together so these were right up my alley. Andy isn’t a huge coconut fan but he still loved these!
- ½ cup coconut oil, softened but NOT liquid.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour (please note alternate flours WILL change the outcome of the recipe!)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips (Trader Joe's chocolate chips are accidentally vegan!)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Cream (aka thoroughly mix) together the coconut oil & brown sugar, then add the almond milk & vanilla. The mixture may be really "liquidy" this is OK - it's also ok if it's just right ;)
- In a separate bowl mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Combine the wet & dry ingredients (it MAY BE crumbly - this is OK), then fold in the chocolate morsels & any other mix-ins of your choosing.
- Roll into Tbsp sized balls & place them on an ungreased cookie sheet (or on a sheet of parchment paper on the baking sheet), then flatten them out a bit with your palm. The dough may be a little crumbly, but just smoosh it together and it will work fine!
- Bake for 7-10 minutes. (I did 8 which was perfect)