If I had to pick one healthy dinner that my whole family loves, it would be this black bean soup!
Rich, hearty, and delicious, this bean soup is chock full of healthy ingredients too!
- Beans are a good source of vegetarian protein
- Bell peppers are rich in Vitamins C, A, and B6 as well as antioxidants
- Garlic is high in a sulfur compound called Allicin which provides a range of health benefits
- Onions are rich in biotin, manganese, and copper
But beside all that….this soup is just plain delicious. I love to top my bowl with chunks of creamy avocado, crisp green onion, fresh cilantro, and crunchy tortilla chips. The kids like theirs with cheese and sour cream :)
Since this recipe includes veggies and protein, I don’t even make a side dish! Putting a bowl of chips and salsa on the table would be a nice addition, or you could serve it with cheese quesadilla wedges.
No matter how you choose to dish it up, just make sure you do! :)
Our Favorite Black Bean Soup
Author: Daily Rebecca
Recipe type: Main Dish/Soup
Serves: 4 dinner servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 whole bell peppers (any color), seeded and diced
- 4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 4 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups chicken broth or stock (plus a splash of water depending on how thick you like your soup)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1½ teaspoon Cumin
- TOPPINGS (optional)
- Tortilla chips
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheese
- Diced avocado
- Cilantro leaves
- Sliced green onion
- Pickled jalapeño peppers
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat, then add diced onion and saute till tender (about 5-6 min). Add bell peppers and saute another 5-7 min. Next, add minced fresh garlic and stir consistently for 1 min to prevent burning. Add salt, chili powder, and cumin and stir well to combine. Add chicken broth (plus optional water) and black beans and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 min.
- Serve soup in a bowl with desired fixin's and enjoy!