When I make a dinner my entire family enjoys, I record it for posterity. This Easy One-Pan Chicken & Rice was just such a meal, so I had to share it with all of you!!
It’s SUPER easy, only dirties one pan, tastes great, doesn’t involve touching any raw meat, and packs protein, carbs, and veggies into one dish!
Plus, did I mention it’s a ONE PAN MEAL??
I love one pan meals :)
Ok…without further ado here’s the recipe. Enjoy!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (or oil of your choice), divided
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced (you can even use ¾ tsp garlic powder in a pinch!)
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1¼ cup uncooked white rice (I love Basmati or Jasmine)
- 16oz bag chopped frozen broccoli florets
- 2½ cups chicken broth (in a pinch you can use water and add ¼ tsp season salt, ¼ tsp onion powder, and a dash of garlic powder)
- 2-3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, sauté diced onions in 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat till soft (about 5 min)
- Increase heat to med-high and add ground chicken to the pan, stirring regularly to break up large pieces and evenly cook through.
- Season with ½ tsp salt and ground pepper to taste.
- Cook the ground chicken until no longer pink, then add the minced fresh garlic (or garlic powder).
- Saute for about 1 minute, taking care not to burn the fresh garlic.
- Push the chicken and onion mixture to one side of the pan and add the last one tablespoon of oil to the other side. (see photo below)
- Add the uncooked rice to the heated oil and stir for about two minutes, until the rice begins to turn golden.
- Add chicken broth to the pan, add the other ½ tsp salt and ground pepper to taste and stir to combine all ingredients.
- Bring the pan to a gentle boil, then lower the heat to a simmer and cover.
- Cook covered on med-low for about 12 minutes, stirring everything halfway to prevent sticking.
- Add the chopped broccoli and stir to combine.
- Continue to cook covered on low to med-low for about 8 minutes, or until broccoli is fork tender, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking
- Remove from heat and stir in one cup of the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and cover for a couple minutes until cheese has melted.