Happy fall everyone!!
Tis the season for apple cider, donuts, cold weather, colorful leaves, and warm comfort food!
This recipe is incredibly delicious and comforting and not very complicated either :)
Back in my working days my boss would order lunch for everyone in the office whenever he was on-site. Talk about a nice guy! We had a variety of places we’d order from, but there was one “mom and pop” place right next door that served up about 10 different soups each day. I was always so excited to see Chicken Pot Pie Soup on their list!
They topped their version with pie crust crumbles and it was the icing on the cake. The soup was thick and creamy which contrasted perfectly with the rich, buttery crunch of the pie crust.
Are you drooling yet? :)
So when I saw this recipe on Pinterest, I had to give it a try!
I wish you could see all the delicious chicken, broccoli, and carrots, but we were hungry that night so I just snapped a few pictures really quick without doing any major “staging”.
I guess you’ll have to make it yourself to see all the yummy chunks!
Vegetarians shouldn’t dismiss this recipe! By omitting the chicken, subbing vegetable broth for the chicken stock and adding some potatoes and extra veggies, you have yourself a batch of Veggie Pot Pie Soup!
One of the things that makes this recipe so easy is the use of frozen pie crust (plug your ears mom!). If you happen to like making crust from scratch, be my guest, but pie crust is my nemesis!
Normally I don’t like frozen pie crust as much as homemade….at least when it comes to pie. But in this recipe since you’re just cutting the crust into strips and baking it to crumble on top of your soup, I find it to be a very good substitute for the real deal.
Either way you make it, I know you’ll love it :)
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and diced (I usually broil a couple of breasts with salt/pepper on them...5 minutes on each side)
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen broccoli florets, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 2 cups whole milk (or 1 cup lowfat milk and 1 cup heavy cream)
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded + extra for sprinkling on each bowl
- ½ package pie crust, thawed
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium high heat. Add onions, celery and carrots and cook to soften about 5-7 minutes. Add broccoli and cook another 5 minutes or so. Sprinkle with flour and cook an additional minute, stirring constantly. Slowly add broth, milk, salt and pepper. Use a whisk to combine, then add in cooked chicken. Heat over medium heat until warm, about 10-15 minutes. At the very end, stir in shredded cheddar and mix until it's fully melted and combined.
- To make crust strips, unroll thawed pie crust (one crust). Cut into strips and lay on parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake in a 450 degree oven for 6-8 minutes, until browned. Remove from oven and break into squares.
- To assemble, Pour soup into individual ramekins and top with shredded cheese and pieces of pie crust strips. ENJOY!
Made this tonight….another winner! You never disappoint!!!!
I’m so glad you liked it!! Thanks for leaving a comment, I hope all is well in the PNW!
Laurie Kroll says
Oh my goodness, I cannot wait to make it with my yummy lard pie crust!!! Talk about happiness in a bowl, I can hardly wait! Thanks for sharing sweetie…