…is that people (like my sister) skip recipe posts.
Well, let me say that I usually talk about stuff before I post the recipe so skipping these posts may be a bad idea.
I mean, who knows, maybe I’ll hide my first giveaway in a recipe post and you’d never know it?!
Not that I’ve ever given anything away on this ole blog, but it could happen.
And when it does, I’d totally put it in a recipe post. Ha!
So here’s the scoop.
I went to the dermatologist before work today to get my “official” patch test applied. And, even though I intended to get up, shower and eat breakfast before my appointment, I somehow ended up sleeping late and having only enough time to throw on my glasses, some clean clothes and run out the door.
Good thing the doctor’s office is only 3 minutes away.
And, this is totally my M.O. I’m working on being more organized, but I’m not there yet.
Except at work. Somehow I manage to be totally organized there. Weird.
So I get the patch test applied and I realize that there’s no showering for 48 hours and I showed up to the appointment un-showered.
C’est la vie. I’ll sponge bathe like I’m 93 and I’ll be just fine.
But, after the doctor’s appointment and half a workday, I gobbled up a delicious lunch. It just happened to be leftovers from Sunday night’s dinner:
Spiced Grilled Chicken and Veggie Pockets
(adapted from Rachel Ray’s 365: No Repeats cookbook)
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- juice of 1 lemon
- VEGGIE SLAW
- ½ english cucumber, diced
- 3 roma tomatoes chopped
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1½ cups shredded carrots
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill (1-2 teaspoons dried dill)
- ¾ cup crumbled feta cheese (optional if you're monitoring your sodium)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- THE REST
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 4-6 whole wheat pitas
- shredded romaine lettuce
- Mix all marinade ingredients together, then add cubed chicken breasts. Refrigerate for 1-6 hours.
- Prepare the veggie slaw by combining all ingredients and refrigerating until ready to assemble sandwiches.
- Combine dressing ingredients and refrigerate until ready to assemble sandwiches.
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons olive oil in a large saute pan. Add marinated chicken pieces and cook until golden brown but still tender (approximately 3 minutes on each side).
- To assemble sandwiches, toast whole wheat pitas briefly in a clean saute pan or on an electric stove burner. Top toasted pita with shredded lettuce, chicken, a few generous scoops of the veggie slaw and drizzle with the vinaigrette dressing.
- Wrap tightly and enjoy! Be careful, they're messy :)