Grace and I both have white terrycloth swimsuit cover-ups that are showing signs of age. Each time we put them on I kind of cringe at how yellowed and grungy they are.
Mine is like a bajllion years old and hers is a hand-me-down that arrived in good shape but has gone downhill due to her, um, creative methods of eating.
I was going to start looking around for new ones when I was struck with a revelation…
I CAN DYE THEM!
It’s a pretty basic process and one that many craftier people than I have done countless times, but I’m a dying virgin (that sounds creepy!) so to me it’s kind of a big deal…in an “I love a good project” kind of way.
Last week I hit up my local Joann’s on the way to a friend’s house and shelled out about $4 for a bottle of Fuchsia dye.
Both cover-ups were dirty so I washed and dried them before starting the process.
Next I read the directions on the side of the bottle. And then I read them in English ;) Everything seemed pretty straightforward.
Be sure you know what kind of fabric you’re working with so you can proceed accordingly. Both of my items were mainly cotton and the directions suggested adding a cup of salt to the mix for cotton so I grabbed the salt from my spice cupboard, rolled up my sleeves and got started.
Of course the blasted things look pretty darn white in these pictures, but in reality they are dingy with a capital D!
|I had to edit the contrast on these pics a little to get the stains to show up, but you can definitely see them now!|
|After second rinse it’s still pretty pink inside the washer.|
You’re going to need to wipe your washer down after this process is complete. Well, unless you want to make some other things pink by leaving all the residue in the basin :)
|See, I told you it would splatter!|
I wiped down the washer and just to be safe I ran a quick load without anything in it except for a little Arm & Hammer Washing Soda. After that, the machine was sparkling white again :)
Now for the big reveal!