This is another Keto Cheesy recipe and I’m not sorry about it! These Keto Cheesy Faux-tatoes (actually turnips!) are delicious and I’m excited to share the recipe.
Andy and I have followed a ketogenic diet since the beginning of this year, and it’s working really well for us. We have each lost 20lbs!
The numbers on the scale have continued to trend downward as we are enjoying delicious foods like this one!
Keto requires a calorie deficit for weight loss just like any other effective plan. The unique thing about Keto is how satiated you feel after a high fat, low carb, and moderate protein meal. High fat meals also taste really delicious which is a bonus!
I’m not here to sing the praises of the keto diet (although I love to do that!). I’m here to share this DELICIOUS veggie recipe with you!
Andy and I both love traditional cheesy potatoes like THESE but the potatoes and condensed soup in that version are not conducive to a low carb diet. This Easter I was determined to make a low carb version using turnips, and I’m happy to report I NAILED IT!!
I’ve used turnips in place of potatoes one other time and they were decent. This time they were so much better! The difference was boiling them; it softens them up and mellows out the “bite” of the turnip flavor. I can’t wait to boil more turnips to prepare in different ways!
I used a little of this and a little of that when I made these on Easter. The recipe I’m sharing is what I estimate I used, but feel free to add a little more or a little less of things like the sour cream or cheddar to get it to your liking!
Keto Cheesy Faux-Tatoes
- 4 cups peeled and diced turnips
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 3 tbsp salted butter
- 1/2 white or yellow onion finely diced
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 8 oz brick cream cheese
- 1 rounded tsp chicken bouillon I prefer Better Than Bouillon brand bouillon paste
- 1/2 cup water or more if mixture is too thick
- Preheat oven to 350*
- Peel and dice turnips into 1/2 -3/4 inch cubes (Larger cubes may require longer boiling).
- Set a large saucepan of water to boil over high heat. Once boiling, add diced turnips and let boil for 25 min.
- Meanwhile, In a medium saucepan combine water, chicken bouillon, and cream cheese. Whisk till fully incorporated, then remove from heat.
- Fully drain turnips being sure to remove as much water from the pan as possible. Add the cream cheese bouillon mixture and stir to combine. Add the sour cream and stir to combine.
- Add all but 1/2 cup of the shredded cheddar and stir to fully incorporate.
- Spoon into a 2 quart baking dish (I used a rectangular glass baking dish that looks like a ‘mini- 13×9’) and spread into an even layer. Top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese (or more if you prefer) and bake at 350 for 30 min. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.